All the Birds in the Sky
Charlie Jane Anders
26 January 2016
Titan Books
I received this book for free in return for an honest review.
But now they're both adults, living in the hipster mecca San Francisco, and the planet is falling apart around them. Little do they realize that something bigger than either of them, something begun years ago in their youth, is determined to bring them together - to either save the world, or plunge it into a new dark ages.
I was a little apprehensive about All The Birds in the Sky. It's not something I'd normally go in for, and romance really isn't my thing.
However, I'm pleased to say I LOVED this book! I'm not sure if the ending left room for a sequel but I really want one! It didn't seem like my type of thing, but once I started I just couldn't put it down!
It took me a while to get used to the writing style... but in the end I LOVED it.
I know I say this about pretty much every book, but it did take time for me to get into this. I really did not like the first twenty or so. I just found the once-upon-a-time style of writing a tad annoying, and the first few chapter were a bit awkward. But once I got past that I found the book had a really unique feel, and I actually started to enjoy it.
I mean, I'm still trying to get my head around this book. I'm not sure what it is about it... but I got really attached to the whole storyline. Ugh, I dunno. You know those books that you just really love but you can't but your finger on why? This is one of those books.
It has something for everyone.
I don't think this book has any contenders, or if it does I haven't come across them. The author has mashed up fantasy, sci-fi, apocalyptic and (sort of ) philosophy into one helluva novel. I'd say the nearest book you'd find that's ANYTHING like this is Pratchett.
I didn't think this type of book was even doable, but apparently it is. All the Birds in the Sky is epic!
It has time travel (well, sort of), magic schools, talking animals, magicians, computers (and other geeky stuff) - basically EVERYTHING.
Let's talk about Lawrence and Patricia.
I loved Lawrence and Patricia and their relationship. It wasn't all instalovey - which we all know is a pet hate of mine. I'm pretty sure they both hated each other for the first half of the book. I wouldn't even call this book a romance. It's just got romance in it.
Lawrence is a science geek. He built AI in his bedroom and the two second time machine - practically the most useless machine in the world. He's working to build a doomsday machine that will save the last of humanity from a dying world.
Patricia is a witch. She talks to animals and has graduated from Eltisely Maze, a secret school of magic. It's her job to help cure the dying Earth of all it's ailments.
Basically, they're supposed to be enemies.
I love the bond between the pair, and how their friendship develops over the course of the book against all the odds. If I had to choose I definitely preferred Lawrence out of the pair, and I thought the author portrayed him brilliantly.
I definitely won't be forgetting them in a long, long time.
Basically, I LOVED this book!
- It mashes up all of my favourite genres into 300 pages.
- It's REALLY funny in places.
- I felt like I got to know both of the characters, almost like I had a personal connection.
- The romance side of things is really great.
- I'm in love with that cover (and got really upset when I damaged it!).
- I'm not sure if there's any chance of a sequel... but I want MORE!

No comments:
Post a Comment